The prostate, a small gland located just below the bladder, plays a crucial role in the male reproductive system. Its primary function is to produce seminal fluid, which nourishes and transports sperm. However, prostate health is often overlooked. As men age, the prostate may undergo changes that can lead to potential health issues. Prostate cancer, in particular, is a leading cause of death among men worldwide. However, by being aware of common prostate problems, and taking proactive measures to promote prostate health, men can reduce the risk of complications and improve their overall well-being.
So, let’s dive into some tips that can help you keep your prostate healthy:
Regular Exercise: Exercising regularly improves your overall health, helps you maintain your weight, and improves your mood. Aim for at least 30 minutes of moderate exercise 3-4 times a week. Ensure you take up to 10,000 steps a day. You can use a step-counter to help ensure you are taking all the steps you need to. If you are new to exercise, you can start slow and work your way up to more exercise each day.
Healthy diet: A healthy diet rich in fruits and vegetables contains many vitamins and nutrients that can contribute and play a significant role in maintaining your prostate health. Have questions about nutrition or developing a meal plan? Our dietician can help you develop a meal plan and a lot more. Call or chat 0812 125 8456, 0705 664 7819 to book an appointment today.
Healthy lifestyle: Limiting your alcohol consumption, staying hydrated, and avoiding excessive caffeine intake can help keep your urinary system functioning optimally hence contributing to a healthier prostate. To stay adequately hydrated, ensure you drink up to 8 cups of water a day.
Watching out for symptoms: It is good to know the symptoms associated with prostate problems. Some of them include frequent urination, weak urine flow, difficulty starting or stopping urination, blood in urine or semen, and pain or discomfort in the pelvic area. If you notice any of these symptoms, don’t keep it to yourself; speak with your healthcare provider as soon as possible.
Regular check-ups and screenings: Regular check-ups and screenings are essential for early detection of prostate issues. It is recommended, especially for men above 40, to have a prostate-specific antigen (PSA) test victorydrugs.com.ngservices, a blood test, and a digital rectal exam (DRE) every year. If you have a family history of prostate problems or you are at a higher risk, you should start screening earlier. You can also have open communication with your healthcare provider for early detection and appropriate treatment where necessary. You get an affordable prostate-specific antigen (PSA) test done at Victory Drugs Pharmacy.
Now that you have some information about prostate health, it’s time to spread the word.
Encourage your friends, family, and loved ones to prioritize their prostate health too. Together, we can raise awareness and ensure that more men take proactive steps towards improving prostate health.
Let us know what you think – Feel free to comment, like, and share.
Got questions? Call or chat us up:
0701 741 2207
0907 932 1484
0809 428 9945
Or chat with us by touching the red circular icon at the bottom right corner of your screen.
Disclaimer: Kindly remember that as much as we ensure we provide sound information or advice, the information or advice given here is not intended to replace your doctor’s advice.
Antibiotics are drugs that kill or inhibit the growth of bacteria. The overuse and misuse of antibiotics can lead to antibiotic resistance, which is a growing public health concern.
Antibiotic resistance occurs when bacteria change their response to these medicines.
Here are some things you need to know about antibiotics:
1. Antibiotics are ineffective against viral infections such as the common cold or flu.
2. The overuse or misuse of antibiotics can lead to antibiotic resistance, making it harder to treat bacterial infections in the future.
3. It is always good to finish the full course of antibiotics prescribed by your doctor, even if you start feeling better and the symptoms improve before the medication is finished.
4. It is also important to take antibiotics exactly as prescribed by your healthcare provider. It is not to be shared or saved for later use.
Skipping doses or stopping treatment early can contribute to antibiotics resistance and make it harder to treat infections in the future.
5. Antibiotics should only be used when necessary and for bacterial infections that are proven or strongly suspected. Using antibiotics for conditions they cannot treat, like viral infections, will not help and may cause harm. You can also speak to your healthcare provider.
6. Some people may experience side effects from antibiotics, such as upset stomach, diarrhea, or allergic reactions. If you experience any unusual symptoms while taking antibiotics, contact your healthcare provider immediately.
7. It is important to remember that antibiotics may be specific to the kind of bacteria they fight against, and may not be effective for all bacterial infections. Your healthcare provider will determine if an antibiotic is necessary in your case.
8. To reduce the risk of developing antibiotic resistance, it is important to practice good hygiene habits like washing your hands regularly with soap and water, using hand sanitizers where soap and water are not accessible, and getting vaccinated against preventable diseases.
9. It is also important to dispose of unused antibiotics properly by returning them to a pharmacy or following local guidelines for safe disposal.
10. Probiotics- probiotics may help restore healthy gut bacteria after taking antibiotics. You can also speak to your healthcare provider.
Lastly, drop a comment, share your experience, and let us know what you think!
0701 741 2207
0809 428 9945
Or chat with us by touching the red circular icon at the bottom right corner of your screen.
Victory Drugs cares!
Disclaimer: Kindly remember that as much as we ensure we provide sound information or advice, the information or advice given here is not intended to replace your doctor’s advice and Victory Drugs is not liable for any decision you make based on the information or advice provided here.
Living with diabetes can be challenging but with the right knowledge and care, you can lead a fulfilling and healthy life. For World Diabetes today, we will explore some essential aspects of diabetic care that will empower you to take care of your well-being.
So, let’s dive in and discover the key things you need to know about managing diabetes!
Understanding Diabetes: Diabetes is a chronic condition that affects how your body processes glucose. Different types of diabetes range from Type 1, Type 2, and gestational diabetes, and each requires specific treatment.
Eating a balanced diet: Eating a balanced diet and maintaining a healthy diet is crucial for managing diabetes. You should consume nutrient-rich foods like whole grains, lean proteins, fruits, and vegetables. You should also avoid sugary drinks and processed foods as such can cause your blood sugar to spike.
Our dietician at Victory Drugs can help you create a personalized meal plan that suits your needs and can also help you maintain stable blood sugar levels.
Engage in Physical Activities: Regular physical activities are a game-changer when it comes to diabetic care. Engaging in activities like walking step-counters can help you know how many steps you take daily, swimming, or cycling helps your body use insulin more efficiently, lowers blood sugar levels, and improves overall well-being, especially your weight bmi, scale. Aim for at least 30 minutes of moderate-intensity exercise 3-4 times per week.
Remember to consult your healthcare provider before starting any new exercise routine.
Taking Medication: Taking medications is part of an essential care routine for individuals living with diabetes. Whether it is insulin injections, oral medications, or both, it is crucial to take prescribed medication as directed by your healthcare provider diabeticcare
You shouldn’t skip doses or adjust your medication without consulting your doctor as it may lead to complications.
Blood Sugar Monitoring: Regularly monitoring your blood sugar levels is vital for effective diabetic care. Use a blood glucose meter blood-sugar-kits to check your levels at home and keep a record of the results.
Regular checking of your blood sugar levels will help your healthcare team make informed decisions about your medication adjustments, diet modification, and overall diabetes management.
Stress Management: Stress can significantly impact your blood sugar levels. It is therefore important to find healthy ways to manage it. Engaging in activities that will help you relax such as meditation, deep breathing exercises, or enjoying a hobby. Prioritize self-care and make time for activities that bring you joy and peace.
Regular Check-ups and Screening: Routine check-ups and screenings are essential for monitoring your overall health and detecting any potential complications associated with diabetes. Regularly visit your healthcare provider for comprehensive examinations, eye exams, foot checks, and other recommended screenings to ensure early detection and timely intervention. Victory Drugs offers these comprehensive examinations.
Find products that can help with diabetes care here:
Pneumonia is a serious respiratory infection that can be caused by bacteria, viruses or fungi. This infection can affect people of all ages, but is particularly dangerous for infants, young children, people over the age of 65, people with medical conditions (like asthma) and those with weakened immune systems. It can lead to severe complications and can even be life-threatening. Fortunately, there are steps you can take to reduce your risk of getting pneumonia:
Get Vaccinated:The best way to prevent certain types of pneumonia is to get vaccinated. The pneumococcal vaccine is recommended for infants, adults over 65, people with underlying health conditions, or people with weakened immune systems. In addition, getting vaccinated against the flu (influenza virus) can also help prevent pneumonia.
Practice Good Hygiene:Washing your hands frequently with soap and water or using hand sanitizer where water and soap are not accessible can help prevent the spread of germs that cause pneumonia. Covering your mouth and nose when coughing or sneezing can also prevent spreading respiratory infections. Avoid touching your face, especially your nose and mouth, to reduce the risk of germs entering your body. Cleaning surfaces can also help prevent the spread of germs.
Quit Smoking:Smoking is a major risk factor for pneumonia. If you smoke, quitting can help reduce your risk of getting the infection. Secondhand smoke can also increase the risk of pneumonia, so try to avoid exposure to smoke from others. Finding it difficult to quit smoking? We can help! Chat with us, call us, or visit us at Victory Drugs Pharmacy.
Eat a Healthy Diet:A healthy diet can help strengthen your immune system, which can help fight off infections like pneumonia. Eating plenty of fruits and vegetables, lean protein, and whole grains can provide your body with the nutrients it needs to stay healthy.
Exercise Regularly:Regular exercise can also help keep your immune system strong. Exercise can also improve lung function, which can help prevent respiratory infections. How do you know you are exercising enough? Great question! Aim for at least 30 minutes of moderate exercise 4 times a week. Walking is great exercise! Health experts recommend that you take at least 10,000 steps a day. step-counters can help you ensure you reach this goal daily.
Polio or Poliomyelitis is a highly contagious disease caused by a virus that attacks the nervous system. It can cause paralysis, disability, and even death in severe cases. To prevent the spread of polio, there are several steps that individuals and communities can take. Early detection and treatment of polio cases can help prevent further spread of the disease. If you or someone you know experiences symptoms such as fever, headache, stiffness in the neck or back, weakness or paralysis in the limbs, or difficulty breathing or swallowing, seek medical attention immediately.
By knowing these tips and following these steps to prevent the spread of polio, we can help protect ourselves and our loved ones from this dangerous disease.
1. Vaccination: The most effective way to prevent the spread of polio is through vaccination. Vaccines are available that can protect against polio, and everyone needs to get vaccinated which include children, adults, and travelers who may be at risk of exposure to the virus.
All children should receive the polio vaccine as part of their routine immunization schedule.
2. Hand hygiene: Polio spreads through contact with infected feces or oral secretions, proper hand hygiene can also help prevent the spread of polio. It is essential to wash hands regularly with soap and water, in a case where water and soap is not easily accessible, you can use a hand sanitizer. This is especially important after using the bathroom or changing diapers. Regularly washing hands with soap and water, especially before eating or preparing food, can reduce the risk of infection.
3. Sanitation: Maintaining a clean and sanitary environment can also help prevent the spread of polio. This includes proper disposal of waste and sewage, practicing good sanitation such as boiling water before drinking it, and ensuring you get water from clean sources.
4. Avoid close contact with infected individuals: Since polio is highly contagious, it is important to avoid close contact with individuals who are infected with the virus.
5. Travel precautions: If traveling to areas where polio is still prevalent, it is important to take extra precautions such as getting vaccinated before you travel and avoiding contaminated food and water sources.
You can also find vaccines that are available at our pharmacy here: