Do you still make New Year resolutions?
Many of us are familiar with the longstanding tradition of setting goals at the beginning of the year, in hopes that they will last all year long. In recent times, it seems like a lot of people have given up on this idea because they find it difficult to follow through. But then, what is the alternative?
Setting goals is one of the best ways to keep you focused on things you want to achieve. It has also been known to reduce stress, especially when you take it one day at a time. So, this year, we encourage you to try again. Reflect on your habits and decide to make positive changes by setting goals that will help you to effectively commit to a healthier and happier lifestyle.
Not sure where to start? As always, we are happy to help! Here are 8 healthy New Year resolutions you should consider adopting in 2024:
- Move Your Body: Regular exercise helps boost both your physical and mental health. Make exercise a regular part of your routine. Aim for at least 30 minutes of moderate-intensity physical activities up to 5 times a week. Find an exercise you enjoy, such as walking (aim for 10000 steps daily), jogging, running, dancing, or registering at a fitness center. (https://victorydrugs.com.ng/product/walking-style-step-counter/) Please ensure you consider your specific health condition before choosing your exercise routine. If you are unsure whether an activity is right for you, ask your healthcare provider. We would be glad to help.
- Eat Healthy: Your body is a reflection of what you feed it. Focus on nourishing your body with whole, unprocessed foods like grains, nuts, plain yogurt, oats, eggs, beans, and fish. Eat fruits and vegetables regularly. Reduce your intake of sugary snacks, processed foods, and beverages high in added sugars. Stay healthy by drinking up to 2-3 litres of water per day. Seek your doctor’s advise on the quantity of water you should consume so you do not exceed the recommended amount of water per day, as drinking too much water at a time can be dangerous.
Need some help determining how to ensure a balanced diet for you or/and your family? Contact our dietician on phone or Whatsapp (08121258456) for in person or online consultations.
- Use Medicines the Right Way: Make it a habit this year not to misuse medicines, especially antibiotics. Use your medications as prescribed by your healthcare provider. Do not use antibiotics unless prescribed by a healthcare provider who is licensed to do so. Do not use other people’s medications. Ensure you consult your healthcare professional and test when applicable before you treat any ailment (even malaria) because it may not be what you think and the medication you take may make things worse. We are available to help you make the most of your medications.
- Complete Your Medications: You remember those times when you were told to take your medication for 7 days and you stopped after 3 days because you were feeling better? This is a VERY dangerous habit for several reasons. If you have an infection for instance, and you fail to take your medications as advised, you may not completely destroy the germs responsible for the infection. In fact, the germs will likely grow stronger and may become resistant to the medication. After a while, you may realize that those medications no longer work for you and you may need even stronger (and more expensive) medications. This problem is getting more and more common. You can avoid this by making sure you use your medications as prescribed by your healthcare provider even if you start to feel better earlier than anticipated.
- Keep Diseases Away: Prevention is better and often much cheaper than cure. Determine to reduce your risk of getting infections this year by doing the following.
- Wash your hands: Maintain good hygiene habits such as regular hand washing with soap and running water. In a situation where soap and water are not available use hand sanitizer (always have it handy).
- Take care of your teeth: Poor dental hygiene can have serious health consequences, including several infections and diseases (including heart disease!). Ensure you brush your teeth twice a day and visit your dentist regularly.
- Know your numbers: Early detection saves lives. It is important that you know your health status at all times. Go for checkups and screenings regularly. These days, you can even get your own devices ( https://victorydrugs.com.ng/?s=blood+pressure&post_type=product https://victorydrugs.com.ng/product-category/devices/blood-sugar-kits/) and check on your health at the comfort of your home. We offer affordable point-of-care tests (including blood pressure, cholesterol, blood sugar and lots more), screenings (cervical examination, breast examination, prostate assessment, asthma control tests, stroke risk assessment, heart disease risk assessment etc). The great thing is; you can come to us, and if you like, we can also come to you!https://victorydrugs.com.ng/services/
- Use supplements: In addition to healthy food, supplements can help boost your immunity and stay healthy add links for supplements. Please ensure you let your pharmacist (or health provider) know if you are on any medications or have any health conditions before getting/using any supplements. https://victorydrugs.com.ng/product-category/wellness-vitality/
- Use sunscreen: If you spend time in the sun, especially on hot, sunny days, consider using sunscreen to protect your face from harmful UV rays that may cause health problems.
- Stay Vaccinated: Vaccination remains one of the best ways to prevent many diseases. Ensure you stay up to date on your vaccines. Note that there are vaccines for both children and adults. Click here to find out more (https://victoryvaccineclinic.com/vaccines/)
- Learn to Relax: Ensure you practice stress-reducing techniques in your daily routine like deep breathing exercises, meditation, hobbies and self-care practices that can help you relax. Prioritize sleep. Get at least 7-8 hours of quality rest each night. Create a bedtime routine, and a calming sleep environment, and avoid stimulating activities before bedtime (like spending time in front of your phone screen). Getting sufficient sleep can help improve your overall well-being, cognitive function and energy levels. Did you know that adequate sleep provides an opportunity for your body to repair itself? (https://victorydrugs.com.ng/product-category/cough-cold-pain/sleep-aids/)
- Drop the cigarettes : You probably already know, at least to some extent, that smoking has negative effects on your health. Besides the direct effects on the lungs, smoking is a risk factor for many other diseases. So, plan to put down the cigarettes this year. Don’t doubt yourself; you can do it! Also, we are happy to help! Did you know that we provide professional support specifically for people who would like to quit? Contact us for more information. In Addition, even if you do not smoke, avoid staying in environments where you may inhale cigarette smoke. This is referred to as second-hand smoking, and is equally bad for your health. Also avoid other sources of smoke. For example, do not have your generator fumes entering directly into your room. This can be fatal.
- Prioritize your mental health: Your mental health is just as important as your physical health. This year, ensure you engage in activities that bring you joy and maintain a positive attitude (make mistakes, laugh at yourself, brace up and move on, don’t dwell on it). Practice self-compassion (forgive yourself, leave the past behind, and press forward for your future), Be socially engaged, nurture your connections, make an effort to spend time with your loved ones (surround yourself with people who love you), join social groups or clubs, or volunteer wherever you find yourself. Social interactions enhance your mental and emotional well-being. Most importantly, don’t be afraid to seek professional help if needed. We can also help you here.
Remember, it is the small, consistent changes that create a significant impact on your overall health. Make daily goals and achieve yearly success. Cheers to a healthier and more fulfilling year!!