Pneumonia is a serious respiratory infection that can be caused by bacteria, viruses or fungi. This infection can affect people of all ages, but is particularly dangerous for infants, young children, people over the age of 65, people with medical conditions (like asthma) and those with weakened immune systems. It can lead to severe complications and can even be life-threatening. Fortunately, there are steps you can take to reduce your risk of getting pneumonia:
- Get Vaccinated: The best way to prevent certain types of pneumonia is to get vaccinated. The pneumococcal vaccine is recommended for infants, adults over 65, people with underlying health conditions, or people with weakened immune systems. In addition, getting vaccinated against the flu (influenza virus) can also help prevent pneumonia.
- Practice Good Hygiene: Washing your hands frequently with soap and water or using hand sanitizer where water and soap are not accessible can help prevent the spread of germs that cause pneumonia. Covering your mouth and nose when coughing or sneezing can also prevent spreading respiratory infections. Avoid touching your face, especially your nose and mouth, to reduce the risk of germs entering your body. Cleaning surfaces can also help prevent the spread of germs.
- Quit Smoking: Smoking is a major risk factor for pneumonia. If you smoke, quitting can help reduce your risk of getting the infection. Secondhand smoke can also increase the risk of pneumonia, so try to avoid exposure to smoke from others. Finding it difficult to quit smoking? We can help! Chat with us, call us, or visit us at Victory Drugs Pharmacy.
- Eat a Healthy Diet: A healthy diet can help strengthen your immune system, which can help fight off infections like pneumonia. Eating plenty of fruits and vegetables, lean protein, and whole grains can provide your body with the nutrients it needs to stay healthy.
- Exercise Regularly: Regular exercise can also help keep your immune system strong. Exercise can also improve lung function, which can help prevent respiratory infections. How do you know you are exercising enough? Great question! Aim for at least 30 minutes of moderate exercise 4 times a week. Walking is great exercise! Health experts recommend that you take at least 10,000 steps a day. step-counters can help you ensure you reach this goal daily.
6. Taking Supplements: Taking supplements like Glutathione immunocal, Selenium, zinc, vitamin+c, cod+liver+oil, and Colostrum alpha-lipid-lifeline-colostrum-powder which is also available in tablet and capsule forms, can regenerate dead or worn-out cells and also help strengthen your immune system.
Pneumococcal vaccine is available at the Victory Vaccine Clinic: victoryvaccineclinic.com/vaccines/
You can also find some supplements that can help with your immunity here:
Lastly, comment, share your experience, and let us know what you think!
Got questions? Call or chat us up:
0701 741 2207
0907 932 1484
0809 428 9945
Victory drugs cares!
Or chat with us by touching the red circular icon at the bottom right corner of your screen.
Disclaimer: Kindly remember that as much as we ensure we provide sound information or advice, the information or advice given here is not intended to replace your doctor’s advice.