Sperm count is important in reproductive health. It determines your chances of having children. Sperm is counted against semen or every ejaculate. According to the World Health Organization (WHO), a healthy sperm density against a semen sample is 15 million sperm per milliliter. When measured per ejaculate, it should count at 39 million sperm per milliliter. That does not mean the end of the road for you. Any sperm count that falls below these numbers is considered low.
Some foods we eat help in fertility of sperm in men, either in production, motility, bonding or prevention from attacks. Below are some foods that boost fertility in men.
Eggs are rich in vitamin E and protein which help in the movement of sperm. Consumption helps to double the chances of fertilization. Eggs are also rich in zinc which also help in sperm movement. They can be eaten in various ways to increase sperm count.
This is an obvious choice to increase sperm production, rich in vitamin B1, C and magnesium. They also contain a rare enzyme called bromelain which increases sperm count and motility. Note that, they help to regulate sex hormones and there by cheer a man up.
Garlic contains allicin which helps to increase the blood circulation to the right organs. This means that blood flows freely to the sexual organs and protects them from damage. An important enzyme found in garlic, Selenium, helps to improve sperm movements.
For its richness in omega -3 fatty acids, walnut improves, greatly, the vitality of sperm.
This known aphrodisiac root used for various cooking purposes is said not only to aid erectile dysfunction but also increase testosterone. It can be taken in fresh or dried form.
Carrots are rich in beta-carotene, an antioxidant, which helps to maintain healthy sperm. It may be consumed as a snack or vegetable.
Olive oil consumption helps to reduce bad cholesterol levels low. The flow of oxygen to the testicles increases and aids formation of healthy sperms.
This is a wonderful fertility food containing lycopene, an antioxidant that improves the structure and activity of the sperm. Men are advised to consume lots of tomatoes to increase fertility.
Any type of berry, blueberries, and strawberries do contain antioxidants and anti-inflammatory nutrients like quercetin and resveratrol which increase the quality and production of sperm.
However, with the consumption of the listed above, men should learn to live healthy life styles to enable all these fruits, nuts and foods function properly to achieve desired results.
Some of these healthy lifestyles are as follows but not limited to
- Smoking: Affects fertility levels in men, so it is very important you quit smoking (if you do smoke).
- Poor sex life: To increase chances of having a baby, have sex frequently with your wife especially during her ovulation to increase the chances. Also, regular sex helps to improve fertility levels.
- Intake of unhealthy fats: Reduce intake of unhealthy fats while increasing the intake of healthy fats like Omega-3 and omega -6 to help in development of sperm membrane.
- Prolonged sitting period: Avoid sitting for long periods which increases scrotal temperature which can affect fertility levels, also, avoid long hot baths.
- Overweight and being sedentary: Exercise regularly and avoid being overweight or obese. Obesity hinders hormonal balance and as well lowers sperm count.
- Poor sleep: Get enough sleep
- Excessive alcohol and drug use
- Exposure to environmental and occupational contaminants (chemicals and highly industrial areas).
- Low level of vitamin D in the body.
You may find some natural supplements that can help your sperm count here https://victorydrugs.com.ng/product-category/wellness-vitality/mens-health/
Lastly, drop a comment, share your experience and let’s know what you think! Contact us via phone or WhatsApp with the following numbers:
Or chat with us by touching the green circular icon at the bottom right corner of your screen.
Disclaimer: Please note that this information is not intended to take the place of your doctor’s advice.